The September previously (in 2016), I had been to a conference in South Africa and heard about Atomic design systems from Brad Frost. It was something I was very keen to try out and my basis for this one.
I had presented to the team how we could go about this, starting small from the atoms and working our way up. This way we could also work iteratively. If we found that colour would not meet certain accessibility criteria, later on, it would be easier for us to change colours across components using the atoms set at the start.
The buy-in from management and the team was almost immediate. They were happy with this approach and we began. You can see below how we iterated with buttons and the date pickers. Working iteratively allowed us to work over components several times until we got to a point with that component was done.
The Atomic Design System process was incredibly helpful in allowing me to test and change things ever so slightly until there was something that looked great.